Be who you are and say what you feel because those that care do not matter and those that matter do not care 
Dr. Suess

my ticker

my ticker

Got up this morning and got on that little scale JERK, (he's only a jerk on days like this) and the scale said 221.4, 221.4!! I have been at 221 for over a week now and I AM GETTING ANNOYED! Ever notice that the scale is like an abusive boyfriend, you can't get rid of him, and he is often times rude and doesn't give you what you want, but the moment he shows you the tiniest bit of affection or brings you flowers (aka: your weight goes down), he's the greatest, most amazing man in the world!!! Well that is the relationship I am having with my scale right now, and I'm not liking it.

On a lighter note, I have decided that Monday will be recipe day! I LOVE to cook, especially yummy healthy food, it makes me feel like I am a smart sneaky food spy or something, I make things delicious so I don't even know that its totally guilt free!! So any way this will also kind of force me to make something so I can eat a healthy prepared meal all week and not go for fast food! And today's recipe is (drum-roll please) Lentil and meatball soup!!! It is inspired by my Colombian roommate last year who made a version of this. Its a little, I repeat a little on the hot side, but that just depends on what spices you put in it so you can vary. Also it is super cheap to make! I spent around $15.00 for probably what is about 15 servings for a bander, that's only $1.00 a meal!!!! And there is next to no fat, sodium, or carbs so there ya go - GUILT FREE, but SUPER TASTY. Another side note, this recipe is a reflection of how I cook - I don't measure anything so its just basically season to taste!

Ingredients
1 bag of lentils
1 12 count container of turkey meatballs
2 cans of chili ready tomatoes
1 can of tomatoes with chillies
1 can of chicken broth
low sodium soy sauce
Mrs. Dash Garlic and herb seasoning
Mrs Dash Chipotle seasoning
Mrs Dash fiesta lime seasoning
garlic powder
onion powder
rosemary
chili powder
cumin
yellow onion
green peppers

First take the bag of lentils and soak them in a bowl of water for about an hour (this is imperative, or the bean with be crunchy instead of soft and mushy). While your waiting get out a rock pot and put the cans of tomatoes, chicken broth, and soy sauce in. Then add your seasonings, now this is a situation where ya just season to taste, I usually put alot more of the Mrs. Dash garlic and herb, fiesta lime, and the cumin than anything else but just play around with it. The aroma is fantastic, I was making this last night and it was making me want to eat so bad!! Then youu chop up about half of a yellow onion , I like the pieces to be medium sized, but you can dice them or do big chunky pieces if you want. Then I julienne the peppers, because that makes it easier for them to cook, and they are less likely to be crunchy. Put those in the crock pot along with the turkey meatballs. Once the lentils have sucked up all the water (or most) dump that into the crop pot also. Then Just leave it all to simmer together for a few hours. I did mine last night at 12 and woke this morning at 8 to deliciousness, but I also left it at low heat, if you do it at high heat, it could be done in like 2-3 hours! I hope y'all like it!! Oh yea and here are some pictures of me with my soup this morning, forgive me, I have on NO makeup!!!

2 comments:

Janelle said...

Mmm.. I have some lentils and have been looking for a good recipe. I wonder if this is too spicy for my husband.

Beth said...

Its really not that spicy, but if he is totally against spicy food then I would just not put in the cayenne

Post a Comment